Monday, April 2, 2012

The Domino Effect

Morning time is not my strong suite. I don't function before 7am unless I happen to be waking up for a shopping spree or a beach vacation. I require gallons of coffee before I am aware that I'm actually awake. A special thanks must be given to Keurig for making every work day possible. Besides my cup o' joe, there is one other morning activity that makes me spring out of bed with a smile on my face. Every morning after I turn off my succession of obnoxious alarms - the first thing I do is check my Dexcom to determine the fate of my morning. Today, I woke up to 93 with a beautiful straight arrow and a graph line showing that my BG had been around 100 for the last 6+ hours. GORGEOUS! 

Night time BG's tend to be fabulous for me and this has begun to translate into fabulous mornings. So why the heck did I title this post The Domino Effect? Well, here's my latest idea that's sure to knock your socks off. I tend to be hyper-focused on the points of my day where my BG's tend to be crappy. I recently printed my Dexcom results and noticed that from about noon until dinner - I had a lot fewer normal range BG's than after dinner through the night. So I got to thinking, what if I focus on really fine-tuning my evening and nighttime BG's? This would be much less frustrating than tackling an already annoying part of the day AND it would likely cause a domino effect of great BG's leading into my afternoon sky-rockets in flight (minus the delight).

The ironic part about this idea is that once I put it down on paper - I had a succession of 3 mornings where the "dawn phenomenon" kicked my bleepin' arse. If I wake up in normal range - my dawn phenomemnon spike doesn't usually make too big a difference. BUT on the late night/early mornings where I spike around 3am and never come down - I am frankenstein even after my cup of coffee.

P.S. The title of this post was also inspired by a Sex & the City episode. I have got to stop being such a gosh darn stereotype of a girly girl.

No comments: